Welcome to Sexual Health North and North East Lincolnshire
We provide free and confidential sexual health services in North and North East Lincolnshire, with clinics in Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Barton and Brigg. This includes information and advice on all types of contraception and STI testing and treatment. Our service is confidential, non-judgmental and for people of all ages, genders and orientations.
You may have heard about Monkeypox in the news recently. But what is it, what are the symptoms and how can you access help and information?
Services available at clinics in Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Brigg and Barton
- Counselling and advice
- Contraception (all types)
- Emergency contraception (the emergency IUD and emergency contraceptive pills)
- Screening and treatment for all sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including people living with HIV
- Express testing
- Postal testing
- Online condoms
- Hepatitis B vaccinations
- Smear tests
- Pregnancy testing
- Coil and implant fitting and removal
- Referral for termination of pregnancy
You can also access most contraception including first and repeat prescriptions at your GP.
North and North East Lincolnshire Sexual Health Clinics
Riverside Surgery, Brigg (Closed During COVID-19)
Barnard Avenue, Brigg, North Lincolnshire, DN20 8AS
Free onsite patient car park and Tesco car park is available
Central Surgery, Barton (Closed During COVID-19)
Barton Central Surgery, King Street, Barton Upon Humber, North Lincolnshire, DN18 5ER
Free onsite patient car park
Birkwood Medical Centre (Closed During COVID-19)
Birkwood Medical Centre, Westward Ho, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN34 5BH
Free onsite patient car park
Stirling Street Medical Centre, Stirling Street, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire , DN31 3AE
Free onsite patient car park and road side parking available
The Ironstone Centre, West Street, Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, DN15 6HX
Parking on site and free for two hours, please ensure you still obtain a free ticket from the parking machine for your stay if it’s two hours or less
If you have any of the following urgent symptoms, please call us ASAP:
- Severe stomach pains with heavy bleeding (women only)
- Severe pain in your testicles (men only)
- Very painful blisters
- Very painful ulcers and/or unusual discharge from your genitals.
If you need urgent help during out of hours you can contact 111 or go to 111.nhs.uk
Rape and abuse
If you’ve been sexually assaulted please don’t suffer alone, it’s important that you’re seen as soon as possible for physical and emotional support. You can call us straight away but we recommend you first contact your nearest Sexual Assault & Referral Centre (SARC) which is called CASA Suite for care and support. You can call them on 0330 223 0181 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Emergency contraception - IUDs
Emergency IUDs are the most effective form of emergency contraception and can be fitted at our sexual health clinics (please call us on 0300 330 1122 or book an appointment online). Emergency contraceptive pills are available free from our sexual health clinics, some pharmacies and GP practices. Out of hours, emergency contraceptive pills are available from most NHS walk-in centres, minor injury units, and some hospital A&E departments. It is also available (at a cost) from most pharmacies.
If you’ve had unprotected sex and want to know your pregnancy risk and options, you might like to use the SXT emergency contraception calculator. This will help you to assess your pregnancy risk but it cannot tell you for certain whether you are or will become pregnant.
Emergency contraception - contraceptive pills
Emergency contraceptive pills are available free from our sexual health clinics, some pharmacies and GP practices. Out of hours, emergency contraceptive pills are available from most NHS walk-in centres, minor injury units, and some hospital A&E departments. It is also available (at a cost) from most pharmacies.
Click on the red Emergency pill finder button below to find out where you can get the emergency contraceptive pill near you.Emergency pill finder
We are now commissioned to provide PrEP, free of charge to all users who meet the eligibility criteria.
PrEP or pre-exposure prophylaxis involves HIV negative people taking HIV medication as a method of helping to prevent HIV infection. Recent research has shown that if taken correctly, this medication is highly effective at preventing HIV infection.
PrEP does not protect against any other STI’s, only HIV. You will need to take other precautions in addition to PrEP to protect yourself from all other STI’s. We recommend regular STI testing if you are on PrEP. You should have a HIV test every 3 months.
PEPSE (anti-HIV medication)
PEPSE can stop HIV infection taking hold after the virus has entered the body. However, it is an emergency measure to be used as a last resort, for example if a condom breaks. Please call us if you think you need PEPSE on 0330 330 1122. You can get this from Sexual health and HIV clinics, Accident & Emergency. Regular family doctors (GPs) don’t give PEPSE.
Order condoms online
Order a free STI test
Changing your appointment
Please let us know as soon as possible if you need to change your appointment time or if you are unable to attend your appointment. Please contact 0330 330 1122 or text 07860 052902. You can also change/cancel your appointment online if you have created an online account.
- Humberside Police (domestic abuse support)
- Safer Homes (Support scheme for victims and children of domestic abuse)
- The Blue Door (offering support services to women in North Lincolnshire)
- Lincolnshire Rape Crisis (specialist sexual violence support service for women and girls)
- CASA Suite (care and support for victims of sexual assault and rape)
- LGBT North East (connecting LGBT communities across the North East)
- Victim Support (support for victims of crime in the Lincolnshire area)
- North East Lincolnshire Women’s Aid (domestic abuse services, support and information)
- I Want Prep Now (access to Prep, Information and Treatment)
- MESMAC Yorkshire (a gay/bisexual men’s health project)
- Pregnancy Advisory Service (Termination of Pregnancy Self Referral)
- BPAS Doncaster ( British Pregnancy Advisory Service)
- Life Central (help with stuff going on in your life)
- North East Lincolnshire Mental Health Support Team
- Maternity Services NLAG
- Livewell (support with health and wellbeing)
- Kooth - online mental wellbeing community