Welcome to Sexual Health Teesside
We provide free and confidential sexual health services in Teesside including information and advice on all types of contraception and STI testing and treatment. Our service is confidential, non-judgmental and for people of all ages, genders and orientations. Our sexual health clinics can be found in Middlesborough, Redcar, Hartlepool, Stockton-on-Tees and Billingham.
Everyone is welcome and you don’t need to see a GP first. You can attend one of our walk-in clinics, book an appointment online 24/7 or speak to us on 0300 3301122. Our phone line is available Monday to Thursday 8am-8pm, Friday 8am – 5.30pm and Saturday 9am-5pm.
Our Middlesbrough Clinic (North Ormesby Health Village) will be moving location on Friday 5th July. Due to the move our clinic will be closed on Friday 5th July – Monday 8th July. Our other hubs will still be open for all your Sexual Health and Contraception needs, call us on 0300 3301122 for appointments or advice. Our new address will be:
Sexual Health Teesside
3rd Floor, Live Well Centre, Dundas Shopping Centre, Middlesbrough, TS1 1HR.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you all for your patience while we move to our exciting new clinic
- Contraception – all types
- Screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Express testing
- Emergency contraception – emergency contraceptive pills and the emergency IUD
- Coil and implant fitting and removal
- Counselling and advice
- Psycho-sexual counselling and support, including support with erectile dysfunction
- Cervical cytology (smear tests)
- Pregnancy testing
- Vasectomy (following a referral from GP)
- Support with making a referral for termination
- University Hospital of North Tees call 01642 624233, Phone lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm.https://www.nth.nhs.uk/services/pregnancy-advisory-clinic/
- University Hospital of Hartlepool call 01429 522751, Phone lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm.https://www.nth.nhs.uk/services/pregnancy-advisory-clinic/
- BPAS (British Pregnancy Advisory Service) call 03457 30 40 30, Phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.https://www.bpas.org/contact-us/book-an-appointment/
For smear tests and most contraception (including first and repeat prescriptions), you can also visit your GP.
Sexual Health Clinics in Teesside
Billingham Health Centre
Billingham Health Centre, Queensway, Billingham, TS23 2LA
Parking on site – free of charge
Sexual Health – Minor Injuries Unit, Guisborough Primary Care Hospital, Northgate, Guisborough, Yorkshire, TS14 6HZ
Parking on site – free of charge
Lawson Street Health Centre, Stockton
Sexual Health Teesside, 2nd Floor, Lawson Street Health Centre, Stockton on Tees, TS18 1HU
Parking on site – free of charge
Redcar and Cleveland Community Heart
Sexual Health Teesside, Redcar & Cleveland Leisure & Community Heart Ridley Street Redcar, TS10 1TD
One Life, Hartlepool
Sexual Health Teesside, First Floor, One Life Hartlepool, Park Road, Hartlepool, TS24 7PW
Parking on sit, chargeable. Pay at machine on arrival – £1.00 for 2 hours
Live Well Centre, Dundas, Middlesbrough
Live Well Centre, Dundas Shopping Centre & Indoor Market, Dundas Street, Middlesbrough, TS1 1HR
Parking in underground site – chargeable
Thornaby Health Centre
Trenchard Avenue, Thornaby, Stockton on Tees., TS17 0E
East Cleveland Primary Care Hospital
Sexual Health – Minor Injuries Unit East Cleveland Primary Care Hospital Alford Road Brotton Saltburn by the Sea, TS12 2FF
For an emergency or urgent help outside these hours, visit your nearest A&E which is likely to be James Cook University Hospital or North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust. Find your nearest urgent care service and find your nearest A&E.
Emergency contraception - IUDs
Emergency IUDs are the most effective form of emergency contraception and can be fitted at our sexual health clinics (please call us on 0300 3301122 or book an appointment online). Emergency contraceptive pills are available free from our sexual health clinics, some pharmacies and GP practices. Out of hours, emergency contraceptive pills are available from most NHS walk-in centres, minor injury units, and some hospital A&E departments. It is also available (at a cost) from most pharmacies.
If you’ve had unprotected sex and want to know your pregnancy risk and options, you might like to use the SXT emergency contraception calculator. This will help you to assess your pregnancy risk but it cannot tell you for certain whether you are or will become pregnant.
Emergency contraception - contraceptive pills
Emergency contraceptive pills are available free from our sexual health clinics, some pharmacies and GP practices. Out of hours, emergency contraceptive pills are available from most NHS walk-in centres, minor injury units, and some hospital A&E departments. It is also available (at a cost) from most pharmacies.
Click on the red Emergency pill finder button below to find out where you can get the emergency contraceptive pill near you.Emergency pill finder
PEPSE (anti-HIV medication)
PEPSE can stop HIV infection taking hold after the virus has entered the body. However, it is an emergency measure to be used as a last resort, for example if a condom breaks. Please call us if you think you need PEPSE on 0300 3301122. You can get this from Sexual health and HIV clinics, Accident & Emergency. Regular family doctors (GPs) don’t give PEPSE.
Rape and abuse
If you’ve been sexually assaulted, please don’t suffer alone. It’s important that you’re seen as soon as possible for physical and emotional support. You can call us straight away but we recommend you first contact your nearest Sexual Assault & Referral Centre (SARC) which is Helen Brittan House. Their helpline is run by crisis workers and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0333 344 8283.
Order a free STI test
Get free condoms
If you’re aged 13-24, you can get free condoms through our Pharmacy C Card Scheme. You only need to register once and can then use your card at any of the 90+ pharmacies offering this service across Teesside (they all display our promotional posters).
Our pharmacies will also be able to offer you additional advice and guidance, and many offer chlamydia screening kits that you can take home, complete and post off. 25 or over? You can access free condoms at any of our sexual health or contraceptive clinics each time you attend.
Changing your appointment
Please let us know as soon as possible if you need to change your appointment time or if you are unable to attend your appointment. Please contact 0300 330 1122, or change/cancel your appointment online if you have created an online account
For further information on any medication that you have been prescribed, contact the service on 0300 330 1122 or speak to your local pharmacist.
Healthcare regulator the Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspected our services in September 2017 and rated them ‘Good’. You can view details of the CQC report.
- BPAS Middlesborough
- Time for you (counselling service for young people)
- Helen Britton House SARC (sexual assault support)
- South Tees Hospital IDU service (HIV support)
- HartGables (support for LGBT communities)
- My Sisters Place (support for domestic abuse)
- Thirteen (housing support programme)
- Cleveland Police Domestic Violence Unit (domestic abuse support)
- MIND (mental health support)
- Platform (drug & alcohol services for under 18’s)
- HALO project (support for people affected by forced marriage, honour-based violence and female genital mutilation)
- Middlesbrough Recovering Together (drug and alcohol services)
- NSPCC (report and support for child abuse)
- I Want Prep Now
- Change Grow Live